IDLE doesn't start

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 11 15:36:29 EST 2011

On 3/11/2011 12:58 PM, Ceonn Bobst wrote:

> Someone told me: “You certainly have a TCL_LIBRARY environment variable
> set on your system, it should be removed”.

Someone else posted this week about the same problem (though from a
different cause) and solution.

> How do I remove TCL_LIBRARY, or do I change some numbers somewhere, and

Open Windows help, search 'environmental variable' and it should offer
you "Add or change the value of ..."

> isn’t it risky to tinker with the Python settings already on my computer?

That is not a Python setting. If you use any of the IBM utility programs
that use the old Python2.2 and tcl/tk installation, and if any such
program requires the TCL_LIBRARY setting (which it really ought not to,
since a proper Python installation does not, at least not now), then you
will have to work around the conflict with .bat files. But I would first
write down the current setting before deleting it, so you could restore
it if necessary.

I once had a similar py2.2 installation on my HP, but I deleted it
several years ago as I never used any program that used it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy