organizing many python scripts, in a large corporate environment.

Phat Fly Alanna flannelsaurus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 00:19:01 EST 2011

We've been doing a fair amount of Python scripting, and now we have a
directory with almost a hundred loosely related scripts. It's
obviously time to organize this, but there's a problem. These scripts
import freely from each other and although code reuse is  generally a
good thing it makes it quite complicated to organize them into
directories.

There's a few things that you should know about our corporate
environment:

1) I don't have access to the users' environment. Editing the
PYTHONPATH is out, unless it happens in the script itself.
2) Users don't install things. Systems are expected to be *already*
installed and working, so setup.py is not a solution.

I'm quite willing to edit my import statements and do some minor
refactoring, but the solutions I see currently require me to divide
all  the code strictly between "user runnable scripts" and
"libraries", which isn't feasible, considering the amount of code.

Has anyone out there solved a similar problem? Are you happy with it?

--Buck