Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sat Mar 12 17:06:53 EST 2011

On 2011-03-12, Martin Gregorie <martin at address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:11:37 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> The point I was trying to make was that the 240 was a
>> superset of the 220, and could be used identically as the 220 was used.
>>
> Fair enough: I bow to hands-on experience.
>
> My source - http://vt100.net/vt_history - Says "There is no VT200 as
> such; the VT220 is a text terminal, while the VT240 and VT241 are
> graphics terminals, supporting Digital???s ReGIS graphics and Tektronix
> vector graphics." which I read to mean that a 240/241 wouldn't accept the
> same command set as the 220.

Yes, that is what it sounds like from that description, but the 240
(mono) and 241 (color) could be used as normal ASCII/ANSI text
terminals (and most of the time they were).  After thinking about it
more, I do remember one graphical app that I used regularly, and that
was a .dvi file previewer that let you view a document typeset by
TeX/LaTeX.  Due to the size/resolution of the screen, it wasn't usable
to actually read a document, but you could check to see if some
particular formatting detail turned out the way you wanted it to.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want to read my new
                                  at               poem about pork brains and