Reading/Writing files

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 19:16:20 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:00:55 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
> > / works fine on windows, and doesn't require escaping ("/foo/bar").
>
> "/" works fine in most contexts, but not in shell commands, where "/" is
> conventionally used to indicate a switch. Commands which follow this
> convention typically recognise "/" as the start of a switch even when it
> is immediately preceded by a letter (with no intervening whitespace).

Yeah, you got me. It's also pretty crummy as a statement separator in Pascal
too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28computing%29#MS-DOS.2FMicrosoft_Windows_style
http://www.htl-steyr.ac.at/~morg/pcinfo/hardware/interrupts/inte2zxs.htm

...but I'm not going to suggest that cmd.exe's quoting rules are rational,
or that changing your switchchar is a good idea anymore.  This is more of
just another normpath thing.