os.stat bug?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Mar 22 10:33:27 EDT 2011

I guess that the code
>> is running in kernel mode. I think this because I can send a KILL signal
>> to it and the state changes to the following:
> What's your operating system and file system? A better file system or
> system setting may increase your performance a lot. XFS or ext3 / ext4
> with hashed directory index increases the file lookup part from O(n) to
> O(1).
FreeBSD 8.1 and UFS2 + soft updates. Dirhash memory already set to a
high value:

vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 134217728

> It's mostly likely a problem with the OS, hardware and/or your
> configuration. Python doesn't come with its own stat() implementation.
> os.stat() just wraps the libc's stat() function. The heavy lifting is
> done inside libc and the kernel.
Great, so the I should ask the BSD list about this.

I'll first try to rewrite the code and replace that some million files
with a very big hash database (gdbm). I guess that will be faster.

Thanks.

    Laszlo