python 2.7.1 "serial" vs "pyserial"

eryksun () eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:57:27 EDT 2011

On 3/25/2011 7:27 AM, bruce bushby wrote:

> Is there any difference between the "serial" module in Python 2.7.1 and
> "pyserial 2.5" ?

I've never used it, but "pyserial" is actually "serial":

http://pyserial.sourceforge.net

I have it installed on my system via Christoph Gohlke's "Base" distribution. AFAIK, it's not in the standard install of Python 2.7.

> However lots of scripts
> "import serial"
> and then
> "ser.readline(size=None, eol=chr(13))"

That's odd that it says keywords aren't supported. The method signature is

    def readline(self, size=None, eol=LF):

This is from the FileLike class in serialutil.py, line 141 here:

http://pyserial.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pyserial/trunk/pyserial/serial/serialutil.py?revision=398&view=markup

Are you sure you're not using an actual 'file' object? The latter's readline method takes a size argument, but as a regular positional argument.