Understanding the Pystone measurement

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sun Mar 27 01:23:41 EDT 2011

On Mar 24, 9:21 pm, "tleeuwenb... at gmail.com" <tleeuwenb... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Is there a good writeup of what the pystone measurement actually
> means? I'm working on benchmarking of some Python code at work, and
> I'm interested in how Pystone might be relevant to me. I've tried
> googling, but I can't find any introductory / definitional
> descriptions of what this module/measurement means.

Pystone provides an estimate of the relative performance of different
pieces of hardware running single threaded Python apps.

If your old laptop scores 12000 pystones and your new shiny macbook
scores 84000, then you can expect your non-i/o bound single threaded
python apps to run about seven times faster on the new machine.

Raymond