Non-deterministic output

Esben Nielsen esn at terma.com
Mon Mar 28 06:42:25 EDT 2011

Hi,

We are making a prototype program in Python. I discovered the output was
non-deterministic, i.e. I rerun the program on the same input files and
get different output files. We do not use any random calls, nor
threading.

One of us thought it could be set and dictionaries not always yielding
the same results. I, however, would think that given the exact same
operations, a set/dictionary would always yield the same results. Am I
correct? Or could different runs of the same program yield different
results due to, say, different memory locations?

Are there any other sources of randomness we ought to look out for?

Esben