Python3 Tkinter difficulty

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Tue Mar 29 03:32:47 EDT 2011

Greetings folks,
    I am very new to this usenet forum, and I am brand new to Python3...
so be gentle <please>
    The source tarball for Python3 compiled and installed (local install
for first experiments $HOME/local/) and runs very well in my terminal.
    I am not able to run IDLE because the compile build process could
not build the _tkinter module, I think because TclTk is not installed on
this system in the standard places... Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.  I have TclTk
installed version 8.5x and tclsh and wish work fine... also IDLE on
python 2.62 works fine too.
    I am noticing that setup.py has the path to the TclTk libs hardcoded
for /usr/X11R6/...  and my TclTk is not there... so I'm thinking that I
need to direct the setup.py path to the right place and thinngs should
work... but, I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what its looking
for... libs, or libs and devel headers?   or other?
    Help/Hints would be appreciated from the initiated... humbly greatful...

kind regards,
m harris