Directly Executable Files in Python

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:21:22 EDT 2011

On Mar 29, 12:16 am, harrismh777 <harrismh... at charter.net> wrote:
> Chris Rebert wrote:
> > Yes. py2exe is a tool which generates such Windows executables:
> >http://www.py2exe.org/
>
> Interesting... but it can't possibly be creating .exe files
> (compiling)... I don't buy it... it has to be reproducing the byte code
> interpreter in the code segment and the byte code in the data segment...
> so that each .exe file created by said process is actually loading an
> entire copy of at least the byte code interpreter with each program
> "compiled" ...

Yes, if you think of it as a handy packager and not a compiler, it
makes sense.

> can't be very efficient??

How do you define efficient?  All I know is that it works well.  You
click on the .exe and a moment later you are running the application
despite not having Python or any of the third party libraries you've
used installed on your computer.  I'm grateful for its existence.