FBI wants public help solving encrypted notes from murder mystery

Stretto Stretto at Nowhere.com
Wed Mar 30 22:18:42 EDT 2011

"Joe Snodgrass" <joe.snod at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c37e8e0b-a825-4ac5-9886-8828ab1faf94 at x8g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

> FBI cryptanalysis hasn’t decrypted notes from 1999 murder mystery
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4d56zsz
>
> The FBI is seeking the public's help in breaking the encrypted code
> found in two notes discovered on the body of a murdered man in 1999.
>
> The FBI says that officers in St. Louis, Missouri discovered the body
> of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick on June 30, 1999 in a field and the
> clues regarding the homicide were two encrypted notes found in the
> victim's pants pockets.
>
> The FBI says that despite extensive work by its Cryptanalysis and
> Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU), and the American Cryptogram
> Association, the meanings of those two coded notes remain a mystery
> and McCormick's murderer has never been found. One has to wonder
> though, if the FBI can't figure this out, who can? But I digress.
>
> From the FBI: "The more than 30 lines of coded material use a
> maddening variety of letters, numbers, dashes, and parentheses.
> McCormick was a high school dropout, but he was able to read and write
> and was said to be 'street smart.' According to members of his family,
> McCormick had used such encrypted notes since he was a boy, but
> apparently no one in his family knows how to decipher the codes, and
> it's unknown whether anyone besides McCormick could translate his
> secret language. Investigators believe the notes in McCormick's
> pockets were written up to three days before his death."
>
> "Standard routes of cryptanalysis seem to have hit brick walls," said
> CRRU chief Dan Olson in a statement. To move the case forward,
> examiners need another sample of McCormick's coded system-or a similar
> one-that might offer context to the mystery notes or allow valuable
> comparisons to be made. Or, short of new evidence, Olson said, "Maybe
> someone with a fresh set of eyes might come up with a brilliant new
> idea."
>
> The FBI says it has always relied on public tips and other assistance
> to solve crimes though breaking a code may represent a special
> circumstance.
>
> For larger images of the notes go here. [LINK]
>
> If you have an idea how to break the code, have seen similar codes, or
> have any information about the Ricky McCormick case, write to CRRU at
> the following address:
>
> FBI Laboratory
> Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit
> 2501 Investigation Parkway
> Quantico, VA 22135
> Attn: Ricky McCormick Case
>
> There is no reward being offered, just the knowledge that you may be
> solving an intriguing murder mystery, the FBI stated.

No other information about the guy? It might help. If the note is of any use
then people and places would be in it. If that is the case then it would
help to know where he lived and some of the names of people he knows.

The note seems like it may not be just encrypted but a sort of
compression(or rather shorthand/jargon) was used. Was the guy a drug dealer?
It could be a list of "clients" or information about where he sold drugs(the
numbers look like street addresses or amounts.

If these kinda notes were so common from this guy then surely the FBI should
have many more?

Seems like the FBI could do more if they wanted it really solved...