What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon May 2 09:12:45 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-02, Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-01, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 5/1/2011 4:45 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> What other languages use the same, or mostly similar, data model as
>>> Python?
>>
>> Natural languages. That is why I think it is better to think of Python
>> as an algorithm language or information-object manipulation language
>> rather than as just a linear-memory machine language.A linear memory
>> with bytes addressed from 0 to max-int or max-long is an explicit part
>> of the definition of assembly languages and C. It is no part of the
>> definition of Python.
>
> It's not part of the definition of C either -- C supports segmented
> memory (pre-386 Intel) and separate code/data address spaces. (Even if
> most C users tend not to think of it that way.)

Indeed.  All the C compilers I used for many years (on both PDP-11 and
80286 under Unix) assumed a segmented memory space with separate data
and text addresses spaces.  More recently, the same can be said for
AVR and many other Harvard architecture machines.

The "linear memory with bytes addressed from 0 to max-int or max-long"
thing is merely an implicit assumption made by bad C programmers.

--
Grant