Basic interaction with another program

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed May 4 14:07:59 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-04, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Look into the pexpect library, it'll make this easy as punch.
>>
>> I don't think pexpect is going to do the OP much good. Quoting from
>> the web page:
>>
>> ?"Pexpect does not currently work on the standard Windows Python"
>
> The OP said he was running Linux.

My bad. When I saw that he wanted to run a DOS program, I jumped to
the conclusion he was running Windows and missed the part about puppy
linux.

> I gather the DOS program is being run in DOSBox or something similar.

If it's running in a window as the OP claims, Pexpect still won't work
since when DOSBox or DOSEmu runs in a window it isn't reading commands
from a pty but rather from X11.  If he can get the program to run on a
pty (e.g. console or xterm or whatever) rather than in a window, then
Pexpect should work.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Are we wet yet?
                                  at