Today's fun and educational Python recipe

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed May 4 15:13:15 EDT 2011

> > It turns out that people in the 1970's were pretty smart :-)
>
> I think that often, the cleverness of people is inversely proportional
> to the amount of CPU power and RAM that they have in their computer.

The Google guys have plenty of CPU power *and* plenty of
cleverness :-)

According to the wikipedia article, Google BigTable uses Bloom filters
to reduce the disk lookups for non-existent rows or column.  The
Google Chrome web browser also uses Bloom filters to speed up its Safe
Browsing service.

> Also: wasn't there a talk on Pycon in which a bloom filter was mentioned?

Yes!  As a matter of fact there was:
http://www.slideshare.net/c.titus.brown/pycon-2011-talk-ngram-assembly-with-bloom-filters

Raymond

-------