What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Hans Georg Schaathun hg at schaathun.net
Wed May 4 15:58:01 EDT 2011

On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:22:38 -0500, harrismh777
  <harrismh777 at charter.net> wrote:
:      That statement is untrue; evidenced by the very fact the CPython's
:  complex and abstract data modeling has been very suitably handled by C.

That's an implementation.  Not modelling.

:      You cannot possibly mean what you have asserted... I realize there
:  must be a contextual problem.  I have been handling complex data
:  abstractions with C for more than 20 years...

I did not say that it is impossible.  On the other hand, you are
clearly not talking about abstraction or modelling at all, but
rather about computation or data processing.

:                                                 its quite well suited to
:  the task... although, I am able to do my research today faster and with
:  less lines of code in CPython.  That does not in any way impugn C..;.
:  quite the contrary, given enough time,  C is better suited for modeling
:  on a von Neumann processor, period.

What has that got to do with abstraction?

:      Here is the thing that everyone forgets... all we have to work with
:  is a von Neumann processor. (same as EDVAC, ENIAC, the VIC20, etc).
:  Assembler is still the best language on that processor.  'C'  is still
:  the best high-level language on that processor.  CPython is implemented
:  in C for a reason:  gcc and the von Neumann processor make it a no-brainer.

Again, what has that got to do with abstraction?

:      Its silly to claim that one high-level language or another is better
:  suited to complex data abstraction... don't go there.

:
: > Digging down into C should be unnecessary to explain Python.
:
:      huh?   You have to be kidding. Why do you suppose we want it to be
:  open-sourced?

Python is a /language/.  The /implementation/ is may be open-source
(and may or may not be written in C).

:                 Use the force Luke, read the source.   If you really
:  want to know how Python is working you *must* dig down into the C code
:  which implements it.

Except that whatever you learn by doing so is only valid for that one
interpreter.

--
:-- Hans Georg