What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 5 05:31:52 EDT 2011

harrismh777 wrote:
> That is the $10,000,000 dollar problem... how to
> extricate ourselves from the von Neumann processor. *Everthing* comes
> down to that...  its hilarious to hear folks talk about lambda the
> ultimate (especially those guys on Lambda the Ultimate) when there is no
> such thing until such time as we have lambda the hardware architecture.

I think there are fundamental problems that go beyond the
issue of hardware design. It's easy to reason about a program
that does things one step at a time, much harder when lots
of things are happening at once. Whether you express the
program using lambda calculus or a Turing machine doesn't
change that fact.

--
Greg