What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu May 5 13:28:08 EDT 2011

harrismh777 wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I give up.  You don't seem to understand the C language defintion or
>> what is commonly meant by "pass by reference".
>>

> ah, don't give up... here is a link that might help to clarify some of
> these semantics...   me thinks:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_by_reference#Call_by_value

Indeed it does (emphasis added):

"In call-by-reference evaluation (also referred to as
pass-by-reference), a function receives an *implicit* reference to a
variable used as argument"

In C the the reference is explicit, which the article states in the next
paragraph:

"Even among languages that don't exactly support call-by-reference,
many, including C and ML, support explicit references (objects that
refer to other objects), such as pointers"

~Ethan~

PS
My thanks to those who kept explaining in various ways about the
difference between language supported features and programmer constructs
-- I hadn't realized before this thread that call-by-reference was not a
language feature of C, but rather a programmer-implemented feature using
the C operators.