Fibonacci series recursion error

Robert Brown robert.brown at gmail.com
Sun May 8 01:44:13 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
> If you value runtime efficiency over development time, sure. There are
> plenty of languages which have made that decision: Pascal, C, Java,
> Lisp, Forth, and many more.

I don't understand why you place Lisp and Forth in the same category as
Pascal, C, and Java.  Lisp and Forth generally have highly interactive
development environments, while the other languages generally require an
edit, compile, run it again debugging cycle.  Lisp in particular does a
better job than Python in optimizing developer time.  I can change class
definitions interactively without restarting my program.  I can add type
declarations to a single function and recompile it without restarting my
program.  Python requires me to rewrite the slow bits of my program in C
to get good performance.  Why is that an efficient use of developer
time?

bob