Custom string joining

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 9 19:16:24 EDT 2011

On 5/9/2011 4:25 PM, Claudiu Popa wrote:

> I  already told in the first post that I've implemented __str__ function,
 > but it doesn't seems to be automatically called.

No, Python does not auto-coerce to strings (only between numbers).
You have to be explicit by calling str. Karim's statement "You just have
to implement __str__() python special method for your "custom_objects".
" means that str will then work.

> For instance, the following example won't work:

>          def __init__(self, i):
>                  self.i = i
>          def __str__(self):
>                  return "magic_function_{}".format(self.i)
> 'magic_function_0'

print('\n'.join(str(ob) for ob in [a(0), a(1), a(None)]))

magic_function_0
magic_function_1
magic_function_None

--