Overuse of try/except/else?

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue May 10 05:34:10 EDT 2011

James Mills wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Kyle T. Jones
> <onexpadREMOVE at evomeryahoodotyouknow.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been hard for me to determine what would constitute overuse.
>>

> A rule of thumb I always follow and practice is:
>
> "Let the error lie where it occurred."
>
> or
>
> "Don't hide errors.".
>
> It's good practice to follow IHMO as it makes it easier to find
> the source of defects in your function(s). If you constantly
> do things like try/except/log then it makes finding the source
> harder and may make it harder to identify what caused it.

You can reraise the exception without loosing the stack trace.

try:
except SomeException, exc:
log(exc)
print 'Hello world'
raise # "raise exc" would loose the original stack trace

JM

PS : "code that crashes could use improvement, but incorrect code that
doesn’t crash is a horrible nightmare." (I don't know the author)