Python backup programs?

Laurent Claessens moky.math at gmail.com
Wed May 11 02:45:51 EDT 2011

Le 11/05/2011 01:57, James Mills a écrit :
 > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Dan Stromberg<drsalists at gmail.com>
wrote:

 >>  What are your favorite backup programs written, in whole or in part, in
 >>  Python?

My favorite one is the one I wrote myself for myself ;)

The point I like :

1. the backup is a simple copy. I can retrieve it without any specific
programs.
2. if a file changed, before to be copied, the backup file is moved to a
specific repertory
    whose name is the date and hour. So if I destroy a file and backup
the destroyed one, the old
    non-destroyed one is still available.
3. Since the program is anyway performing a long os.walk operation, in
the same time, it performs `git commit`
    in the directories that need it.
4. My program is command-line only. Works fine in tty

Points that are of no importance (very personal and adapted to my
specific case !) :

1. time. One backup takes between 10 minutes and one hour. I don't
really care.
2. space. Since my backup is a copy (and copy of copies), my backup
directory takes ~150Go
    while my home is about 25 Go.

Hope it answer your question.

Have a nice day