checking if a list is empty

Hans Georg Schaathun hg at schaathun.net
Wed May 11 15:26:48 EDT 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:44:37 -0400, Prasad, Ramit
  <ramit.prasad at jpmchase.com> wrote:
: > Someone who knows how to program is never clueless starting a new
: >language.  Newbie, may be, but he knows most of the constructions
: >and semantic principles to look for; most of it is learning the syntax.
:
:  I claim to be able to program (Java/Python), but would be absolutely
: lost programming in Lisp. It is more than just "learning the syntax",
: it includes a thought paradigm as well.

OK.  I should written 'how to program imperatively' ... 'new imperative
language'.  Or substitute functional/logical/whatever for imperative.

You would not be completely clueless moving to
ada/fortran/C/pascal/simula.  There may be new concepts,
and some concepts which must be adapted to another level of
abstraction, but you do have a clue about the core concepts.

--
:-- Hans Georg