unicode by default

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Wed May 11 18:51:07 EDT 2011

Ian Kelly wrote:

    Ian, Benjamin,  thanks much.

> The `unicode' class was renamed to `str', and a stripped-down version
> of the 2.X `str' class was renamed to `bytes'.

    ... thank you, this is very helpful.

>> >     If I do not specify any code points above ascii 0xFF does any of this
>> >  matter anyway?

> You mean 0x7F, and probably, due to the need to explicitly encode and decode.

     Yes, actually, I did... and from Benjamin's reply it seems that
this matters only if I am working with bytes.  Is it true that if I am
working without using bytes sequences that I will not need to care about
the encoding anyway, unless of course I need to specify a unicode code
point?

     Thanks again.

kind regards,
m harris