unicode by default

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Sat May 14 03:41:10 EDT 2011

Terry Reedy wrote:
>> Is there a unix linux package that can be installed that
>> drops at least 'one' default standard font that will be able to render
>> all or 'most' (whatever I mean by that) code points in unicode? Is this
>> a Python issue at all?
>
> Easy, practical use of unicode is still a work in progress.

Apparently...  the good news for me is that SBL provides their unicode
font here:

      http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx

I'm getting much closer here, but now the problem is typing. The pain
with unicode fonts is that the glyph is tied to the code point for the
represented character, and not tied to any code point that matches any
keyboard scan code for typing.   :-}

So, I can now see the ancient text with accents and aparatus in all of
my editors, but I still cannot type any ancient Greek with my
keyboard... because I have to make up a keymap first. <sigh>

I don't find that SBL (nor Logos Software) has provided keymaps as
yet...  rats.

I can read the test with Python though... yessss.

m harris