obviscating python code for distribution

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon May 16 09:52:46 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-16, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com> writes:
>
>> I'm putting lots of work into this. I would rather not have some
>> script kiddy dig through it, yank out chunks and do whatever he wants.
>> I just want to distribute the program as-is, not distribute it and
>> leave it open to being hacked.
>
> How do these arguments apply to your code base when they don't apply to,
> say, LibreOffice or Linux or Python or Apache or Firefox?

One obvious way that those arguments don't apply is that the OP didn't
put lots of work into LibreOffice, Linux, Python, Apache or Firefox
and therefore doesn't have any right to control their distribution.

> How is your code base going to be harmed by having the source code
> available to recipients, when that demonstrably doesn't harm
> countless other code bases out there?

The owner of something is free to determine how it is distributed --
he doesn't have any obligation to prove to you that some particular
method of distribution is harmful to him or anybody else.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow!
                                  at               BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-BI-