indirect assignment question

Andy Baxter highfellow at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:13:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have some lines of code which currently look like this:

       self.window = self.wTree.get_widget("mainWindow")
       self.outputToggleMenu = self.wTree.get_widget("menuitem_output_on")
       self.outputToggleButton =
self.wTree.get_widget("button_toggle_output")
       self.logView = self.wTree.get_widget("textview_log")
       self.logScrollWindow = self.wTree.get_widget("scrolledwindow_log")

and I would like (for tidiness / compactness's sake) to replace them
with something like this:
         widgetDic = {
            "mainWindow": self.window,
            "menuitem_output_on": self.outputToggleMenu,
            "button_toggle_output": self.outputToggleButton,
            "textview_log": self.logView,
            "scrolledwindow_log": self.logScrollWindow
         }
         for key in widgetDic:
            ... set the variable in dic[key] to point to
self.wTree.get_widget(key) somehow

what I need is some kind of indirect assignment where I can assign to a
variable whose name is referenced in a dictionary value.

Is there a way of doing this in python?

thanks,

andy baxter

--