obviscating python code for distribution

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 17 02:39:48 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, Chris, those applications are probably no less valuable to
> be open source than Linux or Firefox. The reason is that when one goes
> to learn a new language it is valuable to look at existing real world
> code. However, the code available online generally falls into one of
> two categories:
> 1) Simple sample code, which demonstrates a principle or technique
> 2) Full-blown FOSS application with hundreds of source files and a build
>
> It sounds to me like your home-brew code might be one of the missing
> links between the two. It won't be so tiny as to be trivial, but it
> won't be so huge as to be beyond the grasp of novices.

You have a point there. Although I can't guarantee that all my code is
particularly *good*, certainly not what I'd want to hold up for a
novice to learn from - partly because it dates back anywhere up to two
decades, and partly because quite a few of the things I was working
with are completely undocumented!

But if you have Pastel Accounting Version 5, running in a Windows 3.1
virtual session, and you want to export some of its data to a DB2
database, I can help you quite a bit. Assuming you have an OS/2 system
to run it on, of course. (You see what I mean about obscure?) I should
probably dust off some of the slightly-more-useful pieces and put them
up on either The Esstu Pack (my old web site) or rosuav.com (my new
web site, doesn't have any better name than that), but that kinda
requires time, a resource that I don't have an awful lot of. I'm sure
there'll be a few oddments in there where at least one half of the
glue is more useful. Back then, though, I didn't know Python, nor
Pike, nor any of quite a few other awesome languages, but REXX and C++
are at least available open source.

Chris Angelico