List of WindowsError error codes and meanings

Genstein genstein at invalid.invalid
Fri May 20 15:47:29 EDT 2011

On 20/05/2011 18:56, Andrew Berg wrote:
> This is probably somewhat off-topic, but where would I find a list of
> what each error code in WindowsError means?

Assuming it's a Win32 error code, winerror.h from the Platform SDK holds
the answer. One version is linked below, it's in theory out of date
(2003) but all the best known codes are present.

For example, "WindowsError [error 5] Access is denied" matches
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED (5L).

HRESULTS may also crop up (e.g. E_FAIL, 0x80040005) which are harder to
list exhaustively since subsystems and COM components may roll their own
codes of various sorts; but common ones are present in winerror.h.

All the best,

	-eg.