Abandoning Python

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun May 22 16:32:11 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM, John Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:

> Dan Stromberg <drsalists <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM, John J Lee <jjl <at> pobox.com> wrote:
> > </troll>
> > I still like Python after using it for over a decade, but there are
> > things I don't like.
> > What are your favourite up-and-coming languages of the moment?
> > Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):
> >  * A widely used standard for (optional) interface declaration -- or
> >    something better.  I want it to be easier to know what interface an
> >    object has when reading code, and which objects provide that
> >    interface.
> >

> > I do miss this sometimes, but pylint takes things far enough for me.
>
> Pylint?  Does it provide some kind of guessed-at-type that has been
> integrated
> with IDEs?

Pylint does type inferencing - I find it very valuable on large projects,
and even some not-so-large projects.

I doubt Pylint's been integrated into any IDE's, but ISTR that there's an
IDE out there that has pyflakes in it.  I suspect PyCharm does its own type
stuff.  I've heard (but not tried) that vim can have pyflakes integrated
into it.

For emacs, I really don't know.  I'm more of a vim perrson, but I've
considered switching to PyCharm by JetBrains - people in the Java world
really seem to like what JetBrains did for Java, and PyCharm purportedly has
vi keybindings, so I shouldn't end up typing way too many keystrokes for the
same tasks.

> >  * Better refactoring tools, better code analysis tools (lint, search,
> >    etc.).
> >
> > I find pylint excellent.  My idea of a refactoring tool is vim's n.n.n.,
> but
> have you looked at PyCharm?
>

> In this thread, I'm asking about the views of Python programmers on
> languages
> other than Python.  Thanks for the link, though (does PyCharm provide
> reliable
> refactoring tools that are useable from emacs?).
>
> I'm inclined to doubt that emacs can swallow PyCharm (or PyCharm be
swallowed by emacs).  But PyCharm probably has refactoring.  For a bolt-on
to vim or emacs, you might look at "Rope".