Abandoning Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 23 02:49:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> And presumably anyone who has played around with GUI programming in
> Python will have run into message oriented coding.

GUI code almost always involves a main loop somewhere that consists of:

while not time_to_terminate:
 get_message()
 dispatch_message()

Voila, you've just implemented message-oriented code in an imperative
way. Doesn't make the language inherently message-oriented. If you're
going to read someone else's code, then, you not only need to know the
language, you need to know the environment in which it runs. I found
that out the hard way when I tried to read some PHP code that was
designed to run inside Joomla - it's quite quite different from
standalone PHP.

<tongue location="cheek">I believe assembly language offers as many
paradigms as anything else you might want. With judicious use of
constructs like the Intel "JMP [BP+SI]" and a nice table of jump
targets, you could do message passing, OOP/inheritance, procedures,
and next-programmer-brain-destruction, and hey, it's tabular
too!</tongue>

Chris Angelico