Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue May 24 01:39:42 EDT 2011

From: "Daniel Kluev" <dan.kluev at gmail.com>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> From: "Daniel Kluev" <dan.kluev at gmail.com>
>> Aha, so with other words that ORM doesn't have that feature.
>> DBIX::Class also use the DateTime module, but it can use it directly,
>> without needing to write more code for that, and it can also return
>> localized dates.
>
> Once again. ORMs return _python builtin type_. Localization is not
> their responsibility, and plugging it there is code bloat, rather than
> feature. Sure you may ask ORM to handle JSONRPC requests on its own,
> but ORM responsibility is to map RDBMS features to language objects.

Who said that? The ORM responsability is to map RDBMS to the objects you
need, not to the language objects.
If the ORM can do that directly by just adding a configuration instead of
needing to manually use of other modules, why is this bloat? You add that
configuration only if you need it, not always, and it is much more simple.

> All good python packages limit their functionality to specific field,
> so you could choose one you prefer for each different task
> independently.

All the Perl modules do the same, but some of the Perl modules accept
plugins that make easier the collaboration of different modules which are
needed often, and the need of localizing the date is a feature used often.

>> without needing to load the DateTime module manually and to initialize
>> the DateTime object manually...
>
> This is basically stating that you didn't read the code I posted.
> Where did you ever find "initialize the DateTime object manually"?
> Sorry, but its pointless to discuss anything if you don't want to even
> read properly examples you receive.

You told that you need to use another module for localizing the date because
the ORM returns just a language date object that doesn't do that.

Octavian