Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:53:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:56 AM, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>> To me, a language is a tool.
>
> To me, and to a lot of Perl programmers it's not different.
>
>> The more tools you have competence with, the easier it will be to
>> select the right one for any job. There are very few tools that have
>> no use whatsoever; even Ook might be useful (although I have yet to be
>> asked to port any code to OrangutanOS).  This differs from the notion
>> of having ten paradigms in one language,
>
> If this is referring to Perl: the myths surrounding "there is more than
> one way" are even more crazy than "there is only one way", maybe because
> "more than one" makes it so much easier to make those myths up?
>
> On top of that: how many paradigms does Python support?  And which
> paradigms does Perl support and Python doesn't?

You miss my point. To me, BOTH Perl AND Python are tools; there is a
time and a place for each. Also in my toolkit are C, C++, Pike, REXX,
&c, &c, &c. Even Java and ActionScript/Flash (both of which I detest
for several reasons) have their place - browser-based applications
that aren't limited to HTTP (try writing an in-browser MUD client in
Javascript). Every language has its downsides; every language has its
unique feature that makes it special. And every language I've ever
used has taught me something.

Know both. Bash both (if you feel so inclined). Use both.

Chris Angelico