Newbie string questions

Chris Guidry chris at theguidrys.us
Wed May 25 09:13:34 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:06:02 AM UTC-4, Matty Sarro wrote:
> can't seem to find some of the items in the documentation. Right now
> what is stumping me... what exactly does %r do? I can't find it in the
> documentation anywhere.

Matty, %r in a format string is very much like %s.  %s calls str(your_object) in order to produce the resulting string.  %r calls repr(your_object).  Generally, you'd want to use %s for strings that will surface to a user, while %r is great for debugging and logging.

Also, if you haven't come across repr(), you should be able to find that in the docs; it's also considered good practice to overload repr() in your own classes in order to provide a useful representation for your objects.