Python-list Digest, Vol 92, Issue 221

Richard Parker r.richardparker at comcast.net
Wed May 25 20:58:39 EDT 2011

> Writing code is primarily for *human readers*. Once you've compiled the
> code once, the computer never need look at it again, but human being come
> back to read it over and over again, to learn from it, or for
> maintenance. We rightfully value our own time and convenience as more
> valuable than that of the computer's, which is why we use programming
> languages at all, instead of having custom-made hardware built for every
> task we want the computer to do:

Not only the code itself, but, hopefully, embedded comments help even non-authors of the code to understand, maintain and improve it. Programming books that include examples often spend many pages dissecting even short segments of the code to tutor would-be developers how it works and what it does. Well written code in any language, with accompanying comments, is invaluable for anyone who has the need or interest to Understand and maintain it.

My (ancient) books about object-oriented programming were used to teach hundreds of computer science students in universities all over the world, and the stressed the importance of embedded comments.

How many times has any programmer looked at (even inscrutable) code with accompanying comments and hasn't said to themselves "so that's how to do it, or that's what it does".

It's time to stop having flame wars about languages and embrace programmers who care enough about possible future readers of their code to thoroughly comment it. Comments are far more valuable than the actual language in which the code is written, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad.