Newbie question about SQLite + Python and twitter

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu May 26 12:29:54 EDT 2011

On 5/25/2011 6:08 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Jayme Proni Filho wrote:
>
>> Helo guys,
>>
>> I'm building a local application for twitter for my brother's store. I'm in
>> the beginning and I have some newbie problems, so:
>>
>> I create a table called tb_messages with int auto increment and varchar(140)
>> fields;
>> I did three SQL funcionts, insert_tweet, delete_tweet, select_tweet
>>
>> select_tweet is use for getting messages for sending them to twitter;
>>
>> My problem is: How can i make my select_tweet works at the same time that
>> insert or delete funcions. I just got to work when I stop select function.
>>
>> I would like to do my app works all the time.
>
> Hi Jayme,
> You need to provide a lot more information for us to be able to help you.

    I suspect that the original poster's problem is that he's trying to
delete items from a table while reading the results from a SELECT on
the same table.  SQL systems don't allow that.  It has the same problem
as, in Python, deleting from a dict while iterating over it.

    One way to do this properly is something like

	loop
		START TRANSACTION
		SELECT itemid, item FROM tablename WITH ...  LIMIT 1
		get one item
		if no item, break
		do whatever needs to be done with item
		DELETE FROM tablename WHERE itemid = %s
		END TRANSACTION

    Also, it sounds like he's writing a spam program for Twitter.

					John Nagle