The worth of comments

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 27 01:13:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>  Sometimes
> I'll drop in suggestions to future maintainers like, "consider
> refactoring with with perform_frobnitz_action()"

Usually, I address future-me with comments like that (on the
assumption that there's nobody in the world sadistic enough to want to
maintain my code). But I never name future-me, the comments will be
addressed to "the subsequent maintainer" or somesuch. I do assume,
though, that future-me has forgotten everything about the code, and
since past-me left some comments that current-me has read, I think the
assumption is fairly accurate. (Did I *really* write that code? It has
my name on it.....)

Chris Angelico