English Idiom in Unix: Directory Recursively

Rikishi42 skunkworks at rikishi42.net
Mon May 30 17:04:41 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-28, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's geographic. This list covers a lot of geography; I'm in
> Australia, there are quite a few Brits, and probably the bulk of posts
> come from either the US or Europe. (And yes, I did deliberately fold
> all of Europe down to one entity, and I did also deliberately leave
> Great Britain out of that entity.)

I allways found that odd. Especially if you're talking geography, not
politics. I can understand they want to be seen as independant, even they
are in it enough to allways opose anything someone else suggests.  :-)

To me, saying the UK isn't part of Europe, is like saying Japan isn't part
of Asia. Oh by the way, I'm Belgian.

> Most things work out that way. A thing gets a name based either on its
> implementation or on the brand name of the first/most popular one. If
> the only microwave oven ever produced had been made by Foobar Corp,
> and that company were not known for anything else, then quite possibly
> everyone would call them "foobar ovens".

Yeah, when I was a kid a photo camera was called a Kodak.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
                -- Ken Thompson