scope of function parameters (take two)

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon May 30 20:52:27 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Henry Olders <henry.olders at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> And I am NOT talking about variables that are only referenced in the body of a function definition; I am talking about parameters (or arguments) in the function's parameter list. As I stated before, there is no need to include a global variable in a parameter list, and if you want to have an effect outside of the function, that's what the return statement is for.
>
> I don't believe I'm the only person who thinks this way. Here is a quote from wikipedia: "It is considered good programming practice to make the scope of variables as narrow as feasible so that different parts of a program do not accidentally interact with each other by modifying each other's variables. Doing so also prevents action at a distance. Common techniques for doing so are to have different sections of a program use different namespaces, or to make individual variables "private" through either dynamic variable scoping or lexical variable scoping." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_(programming)#Scope_and_extent).
>
> It also seems that other languages suitable for functional programming take the approach I think python should use. Here is another quote from the wikipedia entry for Common Lisp: "the use of lexical scope isolates program modules from unwanted interactions. Due to their restricted visibility, lexical variables are private. If one module A binds a lexical variable X, and calls another module B, references to X in B will not accidentally resolve to the X bound in A. B simply has no access to X. For situations in which disciplined interactions through a variable are desirable, Common Lisp provides special variables. Special variables allow for a module A to set up a binding for a variable X which is visible to another module B, called from A. Being able to do this is an advantage, and being able to prevent it from happening is also an advantage; consequently, Common Lisp supports both lexical and dynamic scope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp#Determiners_of_scope).
>

> If making python behave this way is impossible, then I will just have to live with it. But if it's a question of "we've always done it this way", or, " why change? I'm not bothered by it", then I will repeat my original question: Are there others who feel as I do that a function parameter should always be local to the function?
>
> And again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Python doesn't have true globals. When we say "global" what we mean is
"module or built-in". Also, consider this code

from math import sin
def redundant_sin(x) :
    return sin(x)

In Python, everything is an object. That includes functions.  By your
definition, that function would either have to be written as
def redundant_sin(sin, x) :
and you would have to pass the function in every time you wanted to
call it or have a "global sin" declaration in your function. And you
would need to do that for every single function that you call in your
function body.