leftover pyc files

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Fri Nov 4 05:27:58 EDT 2011

I like to install a Bash shell of some kind on windows boxes I work on, specifically so I can use shell commands like this, just like on any other operating system. Cywin works just fine for this.

svn also has hooks, but sadly not a checkout hook:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s02.html
I guess you could write your own two-line wrapper script which does the checkout and then deletes the pyc files.

I don't understand why deleting only some pyc files is important. Can't you just delete them all and let Python re generate the ones you need? I once saw someone create the longest python file they could to see how long generating pyc files takes, and it is very very quick indeed. A human could not notice the delay even for the largest of projects.

Finally, someone asked about skipping .svn dirs: find has a '-prune' option, you can read about it on the manpage.