python-based downloader (youtube-dl) missing critical feature ...

lbrt lbrt
Fri Nov 4 07:48:02 EDT 2011

 python-based youtube-dl
~
 http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/
~
 is sorely missing a flag in order to indicate the maximum file length of the data feed it would download (well, unless, for some reason, it is considered a "feature").
~
 I wonder what developers were thinking about when they came up this nice piece of code. If you actually look in the code
~
 data = urllib2.urlopen(basic_request)
 content_length = data.info()['Content-Length']
~
 you will see they get the content length of the actual data feed and they also print the progress status based on the content length
~
 Implementing an if statement a la:
~
 max_indicated_content_length = self.params.get('max_content_length', None);
~
 if( content_length > max_indicated_content_length ){ [do not download, just report "data feed too large"] }
 else{ [do] }
~
 shouldn't be hard at all
~
 youtube-dl is under the Creative Commons License copyrighted by 2006-2011 Ricardo Garcia Gonzalez and maintained by him and a group of python developers
~
 They are the ones keeping a mental map of that project. It would be a plus if they implement this feature, but anyother python developer can implemented (please, let me know if/when you do)
~
 lbrtchx