No matter what I do, IDLE will not work...

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Thu Nov 10 18:11:23 EST 2011

In <3c2688bd-4f87-4eb1-9b40-3cb536a2d8df at e3g2000vbs.googlegroups.com> CAMERON ALLEY <cra5370 at g.rit.edu> writes:

> Okay, so the problem. I tried to install Python 2.7 about two months
> ago on both my laptop and iMac. Both are running up-to-date Mac OS X
> 10.6, with 64-bit processors and around 2.4GHz speed and 2G of RAM. My
> laptop installed python 2.7 and ran it perfectly, first time. My
> desktop... not so much.

IDLE is a separate program from Python itself, right?  It's a GUI, or an
IDE, or a shell or something.

(Your session output doesn't seem to involve IDLE at all, so I am
wondering why you mentioned it.)

By typing "python" on your desktop, are you running plain Python, or
are you running IDLE?

Did you install Python and IDLE on the desktop machine separately?
Did both installations succeed?

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears