No matter what I do, IDLE will not work...

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 10 18:45:06 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 5:40 PM, CAMERON ALLEY wrote:

> Okay, so the problem. I tried to install Python 2.7 about two months
> ago on both my laptop and iMac. Both are running up-to-date Mac OS X
> 10.6, with 64-bit processors and around 2.4GHz speed and 2G of RAM. My
> laptop installed python 2.7 and ran it perfectly, first time. My
> desktop... not so much.

You issue has nothing to do with IDLE and perhaps all to do with the
buggy tcl/tk that comes with OSX 10.6. The Python module tkinter is the
tk interface for Python (hence the name). The turtle module and IDLE
both use tkinter. Searching all tracker issues (open and closed) for
'max tcl' turns up (among several others)
http://bugs.python.org/issue10907
http://bugs.python.org/issue10969
http://bugs.python.org/issue12269
The latter 2, especially, might tell you what to do.

--
Terry Jan Reedy