youtube-dl: way to deal with the size cap issue + new errors + issues ...

lbrt lbrt
Sat Nov 12 14:06:32 EST 2011

~
 I did find my way (through a silly hack) to get all files within a size range without waiting for youtube-dl to be "enhanced". You could simply run youtube-dl in simulate mode and then parse that data to get the info
~
$ youtube-dl --help | grep simulate
    -s, --simulate           do not download the video and do not write anything to disk
    -g, --get-url            simulate, quiet but print URL
    -e, --get-title          simulate, quiet but print title
    --get-thumbnail          simulate, quiet but print thumbnail URL
    --get-description        simulate, quiet but print video description
    --get-filename           simulate, quiet but print output filename
    --get-format             simulate, quiet but print output format
~
 it turns out I needed the data anyway and %(uploader)s %(stitle)s and %(ext)s are helpful as well, for example, in case you decide to skip a certain uploader
~
 I have also been getting errors reporting:
~
 RTMP download detected but "rtmpdump" could not be run
~
 What does it mean? Is it a youtube thing or a python/youtube-dl one (or both)? Could you fix that with some flag?
~
 It would be very helpful if you could redirect youtube-dl errors to a separate file you would indicate via a flag
~
 lbrtchx
 comp.lang.python: youtube-dl: way to deal with the size cap issue + new errors + issues ...
~
// __ ERROR: RTMP download detected but "rtmpdump" could not be run
~
 downloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-66LHJF9E
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] TD-66LHJF9E: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] TD-66LHJF9E: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] TD-66LHJF9E: Extracting video information
[youtube] RTMP download detected
[download] Destination: ./LionsgateMovies-TD-66LHJF9E_Trading_Mom.flv
ERROR: RTMP download detected but "rtmpdump" could not be run
~
 downloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5fFOktUno
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] Ft5fFOktUno: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] Ft5fFOktUno: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] Ft5fFOktUno: Extracting video information
[youtube] RTMP download detected
[download] Destination: ./LionsgateMovies-Ft5fFOktUno_Speed_Racer_The_Movie.flv
ERROR: RTMP download detected but "rtmpdump" could not be run
~
 downloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRbAGrIjCr4
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] wRbAGrIjCr4: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] wRbAGrIjCr4: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] wRbAGrIjCr4: Extracting video information
[youtube] RTMP download detected
[download] Destination: ./LionsgateMovies-wRbAGrIjCr4_Jonah_A_VeggieTales_Movie.flv
ERROR: RTMP download detected but "rtmpdump" could not be run
~
 downloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0KpRBkeMY
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] yU0KpRBkeMY: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] yU0KpRBkeMY: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] yU0KpRBkeMY: Extracting video information
[youtube] RTMP download detected
[download] Destination: ./LionsgateMovies-yU0KpRBkeMY_Hercules_In_New_York.flv