Uninstalling Py 2.5.2 from Windows 7

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 13 17:08:53 EST 2011

On 11/13/2011 12:46 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
> For many months I had sporadically used 2.5.2 under Win 7, then
> something went awry. I tried an uninstall/install and it didn't get any
> better. I thought I'd take another shot at it today. The uninstall went
> OK, but c:\python25 remained with several py files and a folder, Lib. I
> went ahead with the install and got a msg that asked if I wanted to
> write over the python25 folder.

Uninstall (should) only uninstall files that it installed and
directories that are empty. The 'several py files' should be files that
you or some third-party software installed. I personally put everything
I write under /pythonxy in a subdirectory thereof that install and
uninstall pay no attention to. The Lib directory contains all the
python-coded stdlib modules. Unless you know there is something that you
wrote that you want, I would delete it before re-installing.

I suspect that current installers work a bit better than 2.5. I would
definitely use the latest 2.5.z that comes with an installer and not
2.5.2. They are all the same version of the language. The only
difference is bug fixes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy