(n00b) Tkinter trouble

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 00:32:06 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course!  Windows are widgets just like everything else is, and so can be
> configured to be in the DISABLED state just like a button can.  I'm not used
> to this hierarchy in which the root window presides over all, yet is still a
> widget just like everything else.
>
> But there's a lot of GUI programming that I haven't wrapped my head around
> yet (which is why I'm running with this pet project -- but it's bound to be
> ugly :)).

Heh, I grew up on OS/2 and everything was an object. (With a few
exceptions; the minimize/maximize/close buttons are all a single
object, rather than being three.) It's not normal to disable the title
bar while leaving the window enabled, but if you want to, you can!

As a general rule, if any parent is invisible, you won't see the
child, and if any parent is disabled, you can't access the child. You
may find that there's even a one-line command that will disable the
window, open a new window, wait for the new window to close, and
automatically reenable the window - an "open modal dialog" function or
something.

ChrisA