(don't bash me too hard) Python interpreter in JavaScript

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:45:52 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Passiday <passiday at gmail.com> wrote:
> The app would have basic IDE for writing and debugging the python code, but the interpretation, of course, would be done in JavaScript. I'd like to avoid any client-server transactions, so all the interpretation should take place on the client side. The purpose of all this would be to create educational platform for learning the programming in python.

Hmm. If it's to be an educational platform, I would recommend doing
something like the W3Schools "tryit" page [1] and just go back to the
server each time. You have potential security issues to watch out for
(so it may be worth chrooting your interpreter), but it's sure to be
easier than rewriting the entire interpreter in another language. You
would have to maintain your implementation as the language evolves,
keep it bug-free, etc, etc.

ChrisA

[1] eg http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_basic