Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Nov 17 13:42:36 EST 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:55:36 -0800, W. eWatson wrote:

> Months ago 2.5.2 stopped functioning on my Win7 PC, so a few days ago I
> uninstalled and installed. Same problem. If one right-clicks on a py
> file, IDLE is not shown in the menu as Edit with IDLE. After playing
> with matters I gave up, and uninstalled 2.5.2 and turned to 2.7.2. Same
> results.

I find I get better results when I stop "playing with matters" and start
treating them seriously :)

If you need help fixing the file associations on your Windows 7 machine,
you'll probably get better advice on a dedicated Windows forum. Or even
by googling for instructions:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=how%20to%20fix%20windows%207%20file%20associations

> If I look at a 2.4 install on my laptop, I get the desired reference to
> Edit with IDLE.

So you're saying that Python is working on one laptop, but not on another
machine?

Okay. Great. What's your point? You have a messed up installation on your
Windows 7 box, and a working installation on your laptop. What would you
like us to do? Commiserate? Laugh? Look into a crystal ball and tell you
what you did wrong?

Can you run Python from the command line? If so, that tells you that
Python is installed and working correctly. If Python is installed, then
it sounds like a matter of getting the file associates fixed in the
registry. Good luck.

> My guess is that Win 7 is behind this. If so, it's good-bye Python.
>
> Comments?

Why not good-bye Windows 7?

This being Windows, have you run a virus scan with up to date
definitions? Then run a *second* scan, using a completely different
scanner, because no scanner can catch all viruses? And then run a good
anti-spyware program. All of which will be irrelevant 99 times out of
100, but you could be the 1% ...

--
Steven