Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Thu Nov 17 18:54:39 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 12:46 PM, spartan.the wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I'd describe the lack of IDLE in a context menu as
>>> "python not functioning".
>>
>> Well, yes, and I can run it from the command line.

>> This has been a nagging problem for far too long. I see no reason why a
>> simple install should make such a difference with the way I get to IDLE.
>> Maybe few people here like IDLE, but for my minimal needs, it's just fine.
>>

>>> It was working originally, right?  So the problem can't really just be
>>> Win 7.
>>
>> I installed it about April 2010, and it worked for months. I then
>> stopped using it until around July 2011. It no longer worked in the IDLE
>> sense.
>>
>> Who really knows?
>>

>>> Can you add IDLE manually to the associated applications list?
>>
>> Tried that by sending it directly to idle.pyw, but then trying to get
>> there through the Edit with menu caused a "invalid Win32 app."
>
> idle.pyw is not executable in Windows, but you can right-click it,
> open, browse to pythonw.exe. Then it should work.

right-click on junk.py gives me a menu. I select Open with, and ...
hmmm, whoops, in the latest install, 2.7.2, I did not give it access to
idle.pyw.

My mistake above. I was talking about the previous 2.5.2 of install in
Win7. Where I'm at is 2.7.2 now. However, I still find in very odd there
is no Edit with IDLE when I right-click on junk.py. That's the way it
worked on 2.5.2 on my XP and earlier, 2010, on Win7. Downright frustrating.