Using the Python Interpreter as a Reference

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:33:21 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Travis Parks <jehugaleahsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on designing a new programming language. It is
> a compiled language, but I still want to use Python as a reference.
> Python has a lot of similarities to my language, such as indentation
> for code blocks, lambdas, non-locals and my language will partially
> support dynamic programming.

If you want to use Python as a reference for designing your language,
look at the documentation. It's pretty decent on the subject of
language specs (you may find yourself reading a lot of PEPs as well as
the "normal" docs).

But for actual code - you may want to look at Cython. I've never used
it, but it compiles Python code to C (IIRC); that's more likely to be
what you're after.

What's your language's "special feature"? I like to keep track of
languages using a "slug" - a simple one-sentence (or less) statement
of when it's right to use this language above others. For example,
Python is optimized for 'rapid deployment'.

ChrisA