suitability of python

Laurent Claessens moky.math at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:46:13 EST 2011

Le 24/11/2011 13:31, Rudra Banerjee a écrit :
> Dear friends,
> I am a newbie in python and basically i use python for postprocessing
> like plotting, data manipulation etc.
> Based on ease of programming on python I am wondering if I can consider
> it for the main development as well. My jobs (written on fortran) runs
> for weeks and quite CPU intensive. How python works on these type of
> heavy computation?
> Any comment or reference is welcome.

If you need mathematical power (especially symbolic computations), you
should also consider Sage[1] which is kind of a module of math over
python. In some situations, Sage is the "correct" successor of Fortran
instead of plain python.

Well, it does not answers the question, but ...

Laurent

[1] http://sagemath.org